Saturday 21 June 2014

Books: I Endeavour to Finish You


I think we have all encountered books, that we want to read, tried to read and even lied about reading because you want it to be true so desperately but alas you still haven't gotten to the end. These are some of the books that I have sitting about making me feel quality for neglecting them.

 Stoner, John Williams

I didn't actually buy this book, it was sent to me by Bookmarks. I read the synopsis for this and thought it was going to be quite an interestingly sad read. It's not a huge commitment at just under 300 pages but when I sat down to read this book I couldn't get into it. There's something unengaging about the narrative and the characters so far haven't demonstrated much in way of personality, let alone likeability (Not that I believe you have to like a character to enjoy a novel). Over all if I pick up a book and have to force myself to ever pick it up again I know it's not the book for me but I am also aware that I haven't read enough pages to even attempt to appreciate the themes. I honestly don't believe any novel that leaves you feeling indifferent about the events that take place throughout can possibly muster any poignancy in its conclusion.

Cocaine Nights, J.G Ballard

I should be in love with this book; I am a fan of Ballard's writing and have enjoyed reading quite a few of his novels. I also love novels with detective qualities but Cocaine Nights just leaves me a little frustrated. I keep meaning to make it a priority but never even look at it, like it's a conversation I keep trying to avoid at all costs. I can't figure out why it hasn't absorbed me. I wouldn't even say it's the pace of the narrative, I have read some slow books in my time. Even the characters are interesting and have an air of mystery to them. I am simply struggling with it.

The Hobbit,J.R.R Tolkien

I haven't really got much to say about The Hobbit. There are parts of it I really enjoy and others that fail to hold my attention. I am a brave way through it so I will get around to finishing it. I think I am just too picky with this one, so difficult to impress (so demanding).


 American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis

This book exceeds its reputation, it is cleverly written and incredibly violent but also intensely dark in humour. The only thing that puts me off reading this book is the sere mundane and lengthy paragraphs, which are necessary and fundamental to the theme of the entire novel but it's so hard to trek through, all the shallow meaningless social encounters and boring, frivolous characters that start to drive me crazy if I read if for far too long without a break. The bizarre self indulgence of all the characters attempting to achieve any sense of fulfilment is harrowing to read, the hopelessness in all their money. I might finish it one day but I feel I have taken away all I can from this book already.

Thank you for reading, I also need to finish How We Do It but with it being non-fiction it's taking me much longer than usual to read with all my extensive note taking.  

Devon x


No comments:

Post a Comment